Text of the 1642 pamphlet by T Fawcet

A sign from heaven, or a fearful and terrible noise, heard in the air at Alborow, in the county of Suffolk, on Thursday, the 4th day of August, at 5 of the clock in the afternoon. Wherein was heard the beating of drums, the discharging of muskets and great ordnance for the space of an hour and more, as will be attested by many men of good worth, and exhibited to some chief members of the honourable House of Commons. With a stone that fell from the sky in that storm, or noise rather, which is here to be seen in town, being of a great weight – Aug. 12  London : Printed by T. Fawcet, 1642

“Upon Thursday, the 4th day of this instant August, anout the hour of four or five in the afternoon, there was a wonderful noise heard in the air, as of a drum beating most fiercely, which after a while was seconded with a long peal of small shot, and after that a discharging as it were, of great ordnance in a pitched field.This continued with some vicissitudes of small shot and great ordnance for the space of one hour and a half, and then making a mighty and violent report altogether; at the ceasing thereof there was observed to fall down out of the sky a stone of about four pounds weight, which was taken up by then who saw it fall, and being both strange for the form of it, and somewhat miraculous for the manner of it, was by the same parties who are ready to attest to this truth brought up and showed to a worthy member of the House of Commons, upon whose ground it was taken up, and by him to various friends who have both seen and handled the same.

Now the manner of finding of this stone was thus: one Captain Johnson and one Master Thompson, men well known in that part of Suffolk, were that day at Woodbridge about the launching of a ship that was newly builded there; who hearing this marvellous noise towards Alborow, verily supposed that some enemy was landed, and some sudden onset made upon the town of Alborow.

This occasioned them to take to horse and hasten homewards, because they heard the noise of the battle grow louder. And being at that instant when the greatest crack and report was made in conclusion, on their way upon a heath between the two towns, Woodbridge and Alborow, they observed the fall of this stone, which grazing in the fall of it upon the heath, some 6 or 7 tards, had outrun their observation where it rested, had not a dog which was in their company followed it by the scnent as was hot, and brought them where it lay covered with grass and earth, that the violence of its course had contracted about it.

This is the true relation of the finding of this stone, which is 8 inches long and 5 inches broad, and 2 inches thick.”